Saturday, March 16, 2013

KitKat-M&M Cake


A few weeks ago, we celebrate my son's 8th birthday.  8 already...still kinda mind boggling for this mama :/ Anyway, this year I decided to just keep things simple (in theory anyway) and have a few of his friends over for dinner (he picked the menu) and cake.  

My little foodie picked homemade buffalo wings, Cesar salad, mozzarella sticks with marinara and pizza of course.  So when it cake time to pick a cake, I decided to keep things simple.  

I had seen this KitKat/M&M cake on the blogosphere for some time and thought it looked fun and would be perfect for this party. This cake doesn't require too much work to achieve the overall fun look.  I used a good chocolate boxed cake mix, make homemade chocolate frosting (just b/c I hate the taste of canned frosting) and then added the KitKat's and M&M's.  


Everyone got a kick out of the cake and one serious sugar rush!

Ingredients:
Cake - (your favorite; homemade or from a box, chocolate, vanilla, etc.)
Chocolate frosting- (your favorite; homemade or canned)
KitKat- broken into 2 piece sections
M&M's
Ribbon (to tie around the cake)

* The amount of ingredients you'll need really depends on what size cake you are making.


Directions:
1.  Bake the cake according to recipe and let cool completely.  Slice off the tops of the cake layers and frost the cake completely.
2.  Carefully press the Kitkat bar sections into the frosting, all around the cake.  Ideally, you'll want a 1/2  rim on the top of the cake to hold all the M&M's in place.
3.  Pour the M&M's on the top of the cake.
4.  Wrap decorative ribbon around the cake.


Source:  Inspired by multiple sources on the web





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that this cake is so easy to make! I saw it on Pinterest and thought it was really cute (I might make it for my son's birthday next year). Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete